Tuesday, November 30, 2010

What's in a name?

Some people have asked where we found the name Britton.  Well........ Mom is in to genealogy and since retirement she has done a lot of research on ancestry.com.  She gave us a 17 page list of names from our family and Kirk's family lines.  Kirk and I went through all 17 pages to find several names that we liked, but nothing we loved until one day.  Kirk called me and said, "what do you think about Britton?"  I said, "I love it!"  We knew right then, Britton was the name for our second child.  Britton comes from my side of the family and was traced back to 1782 to a Britton Holland in North Carolina.  Mom did more research and traced some of his ancestors back to a Philemon Holland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philemon_Holland) in England.  Britton's middle name, Abigail, also comes from my side of the family.  Had Britton been a boy, his name would have been Britton Reece, with Reece coming from Kirk's side of the family.  Kirk and I both like the idea of a non-gender specific first name that we could use for a boy or girl since we don't find out the baby's gender.  We did the same with Holland's name. 

No comments: