Monday, December 14, 2009

Holland's 1st time to be sick

Yesterday we noticed Holland's voice was a little deeper, she was coughing, and had a raspy sound to her lungs. We decided to take her in to the doctor's office this morning to sick time. Kirk went in to work with Cousin Clayton at his UPS Store and Holland and I were at the doctor's office by 8:30am. We got there, checked in, and found a seat. Once I let her stand up, she coughed, burped, and then threw up all of her breakfast! Holland has NEVER thrown up anything. I think maybe one time she spit up as a baby, but that was it. Then today she proceeded to throw up all of her breakfast in the waiting room of the doctor's office. I had no idea what to do! All of the other moms were looking at me in horror and all I could say was, "I'm so sorry, she's almost 18 months and has never thrown up and I don't know what to do." The moms felt sorry for me and several went and got paper towels, handed me tissues, and I got out my wipes and proceeded to clean Holland, the floor, and then myself up. It was mortifying. I called Kirk and asked him to come help me. I didn't know if Holland was going to throw up again or what was going to happen next. I was just waiting for another first, the drizzles. She has never had diarrhea, so who knows when that first time will be. Kirk, being the good Dad he is, came right over to the clinic and waited with smelly Holland and me to see the doctor. Oh, and talk about smell! I will not describe - yuck. We got in to see Dr. A and he listened to Holland's breathing and we told him about her throwing up. He said the throwing up was just a crazy thing that happens when kids cough really hard and burp together. No biggie, her tummy is fine. He then said that Holland has croup. He gave her 3 days worth of steroids and some cough/decongestant syrup. So, needless to say, it's been a bad day so far. Then, we go to our pharmacy and of course, it's going to take over an hour to fill the prescriptions. We do a couple of errands, all the meanwhile, I can smell that awful smell on myself and Holland. Ewww......... We finally get Holland's medicine, go home, I give Holland both prescriptions, change my clothes, and bathe her. I was able to get her to eat some chicken noodle soup and some crackers throughout the day. She took a good long nap as shown in picture below. She was wiped out and as soon as I laid the blanket and pillow down, she immediately wanted to lay down and had to have her favorite stuffed animals. I hope she sleeps well tonight. So far the medicines have given her a lot of crazy energy.

I just hate that Holland's sick. I do not know how parents go through this. It's miserable watching your child suffer and feel bad. I'm just so grateful Holland was able to get to about 18 months old before getting sick for the first time. We are very blessed she hasn't been sick with anything else. And it appears we caught this early on. I pray she feels better tomorrow and will be back to normal as soon as possible.

No comments: