Monday, March 7, 2011

Our sweet Piwi

Piwi, our K9 Belgium Malinois, was hit and killed by a car on the highway while on duty this morning.  We are very devastated by this loss.  Piwi was a wonderful drug dog and pet.  He was so sweet to everyone he met and was very gentle and playful with Holland.  Since we got Piwi (Aug 2009), Holland learned all the czech commands and Piwi would mind her.  The loss of a drug dog is very different for me as compared to losing a pet.  Drug dogs are highly intelligent, very protective, and work for a living.  K9 dogs are considered a deputy/officer of the department they work for.  Piwi took an oath to protect and was assigned a call number.  I always felt safe and secure when Piwi was home because I knew he would protect us.  He wasn't an aggressive dog unless you gave him the commands to be aggressive.  I didn't realize how attached I had become with Piwi until now.  Piwi was buried where Precious and Prissy (Mom's chihuahua) were buried.  We lost Precious, my chihuahua, last August.   

No comments: